What if there was a single question that could break through your fears and doubts? What if that question could also mobilize your resources and increase your income?
There is! It’s a question that is repeated in both the Old and New Testament of the Bible:
That was the question God asked Moses (Exo 4:2). God had chosen Moses to lead a people out of bondage. Moses was not convinced he was the man for the job! All His mind could see was his limitations. He pleaded with God to find someone else. After all, he reasoned, how could he lead a multitude when he struggled to speak a complete sentence?
Moses, “What’s that in your hand?” The response Moses gave was so common I think it could have come from any of us. “Nothing but”. It was just a stick (staff). It seemed ordinary and insignificant.
This life-changing question, “What’s in your hand?” can be found throughout scripture and across the corridor of time. So does the answer. The widow that Elijah visited had nothing but a little oil. The Disciples asked to feed 5000 replied they had nothing but 5 loaves and 2 fish.
We pride our self in being ordinary. We minimize what we have. We easily brush off any reference to our gifts, talents and abilities. We assume everybody has what we have.
Yet, it was Moses ordinary “stick” that parted the red sea, got water from a rock and led a multitude. It was the widow’s little bit of oil that provided the funding to start a home-based business and get out of debt. It was a boy’s five loaves and two fish that fed a hungry multitude. The truth is we all have something in our hands.
Breaking the Mindset of Lack
Hidden in the question, “What’s in your hand” are some spiritual principles that break the mindset of lack and limitation.
1. Awareness – Change and transformation begins with awareness. We are keenly aware of our lack and limitations. We can can quickly and naturally what define what we lack. Identifying our strengths seem to be difficult. Jesus referenced “eyes that don’t see”. We can look at something and still not see. I see this in my coaching clients. They have so many gifts and talents. I see opportunity everywhere. It reminds me of how the Chinese first viewed America. It was a land paved with gold. Many times I have seen an immigrant come to America, start a business and prosper even in the midst of difficult economic times. Opportunity is everywhere. But first we must “see” it. We must be convinced that what is in us if far greater than any circumstance around us.
2. Gratitude – One way to break a mindset of lack is to take time every day is to thank God for what you DO have. Jesus didn’t scorn or ridicule what the kid brought. Instead He raised it to heaven and gave thanks.
“and He took the seven loaves and the fish; and when He had given thanks…” – Matt 15:36
“Celebrate what you want more of.” – Tom Peters
3. Use it – the oil didn’t multiply until it flowed. The bread and fish didn’t multiply until it was used to feed the people. In the parable of the talents they all multiplied except the one that was buried and taken out of circulation. Money is called “currency” for a reason. It can only multiply when it is in flow. Whatever we take out of circulation and hoard stagnates. Like the miracle of manna. Everyday there was a fresh miracle. The Israelites could eat as much manna as they desired. The minute they began to operate in fear or greed, and tried to hoard, the manna got moldy. Put your gifts, talents and resources to work.
“Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might” – Eccl 9:10
“Just as each one of you has received a special gift [a spiritual talent, an ability graciously given by God], employ it in serving one another as [is appropriate for] good stewards of God’s multi-faceted grace [faithfully using the diverse, varied gifts and abilities granted
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”-Theodore Roosevelt
Questions for reflection. What:
- Gifts and talents has God placed in you?
- Comes almost natural for you?
- Do people come to your for advice or help?
- Skills have you developed?
- Training have you had?
- Supportive people are in your life?
- Names are in your phone directory or Rolodex
- People would love to invest in your success?
- Previous clients or customers have bought products or services?
- Potential client has shown interest in your product or service?
- Networks or organizations do you or have you belonged to?
- Is your fanbase on social media?
As you take inventory of your resources ask God to open your eyes. Meet with a skilled counselor or business coach. Dedicate your time and talents to God and the service of humanity. He will put His “Super” on our Natural. The results are supernatural!
*For a complete “What’s In Your Hand FREE Breakthrough Coaching Session” with Success and Business Coach Brenda Byers visit here